Saturday, February 04, 2012

My Big Game (Food) Predictions

 I was telling someone the other day, who I thought would do well in the Super Bowl, and they quickly reminded me that the team I had picked, wasn't in the game.  I did watch some of the playoffs, but it's been a couple of weeks, so I'm already rusty on the details.  

What I do know is, for non-football fans and self proclaimed chefs, Super Bowl Sunday is the day to create some great junk food masterpieces.  I have a game plan, and my roster set.  I thought I'd share the lineup with you: 

 

Oven Broiled Chicken Wings 

I've done wings every way imaginable, but have never par-boiled them.  This should be interesting. I'm also not sold on the "hot sauce" .. I'm thinking I might go with another marinade or flavor, but we'll see.  Anyhow, this is the method I'll be using to cook my game-day wings (source):

  • 1. Preheat the broiler. Place the wings in a large pot and fill the pot with water to cover by about 2 inches. Bring to a boil, then continue to boil for 10 minutes. Drain.
  • 2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the cayenne pepper sauce, lemon juice, and broth.
  • 3. Transfer the wings to a broiler pan and broil 5 to 6 inches from the flame, until the skin begins to blister and brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Turn the wings over and broil until cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes more.
  • 4. Transfer the wings to a baking sheet, drizzle with the reserved sauce, and toss well to coat. Place the baking sheet under the broiler for 1 minute to heat the wings and sauce together.
  • 5. Serve the broiled Buffalo wings with extra hot sauce on the side, celery sticks, and the blue cheese dip.

  •  

     Cheese Con Queso Dip

    Probably the most unhealthy snacks of the day, and the reason I busted out a 10 mile run Saturday morning. I'm a sucker for cheese queso dip though, and it's a must on a big game day.  I'm going to play with the amounts, as I'm definitely not going to make a huge batch of this. 

    Jalapeno velveeta cheese (I used Kroger brand)

    Rotel diced tomatos with green chilis 

    Ground sausage (cooked)

    Mix together the desired amounts and done.  This is also really good in a crock pot on low.  

     

    Crab Rangoon

    I've never actually made these, and never really even order them at chinese restaurants, but I do like them and have always wanted to try making them.  From tasting them a few times, it's pretty easy to tell what's in them.  Cream cheese, crab and maybe some green onion.  I dug around and found some recipes and came up with my own concoction.

    1 package of immitation crab meat 

    Cream Cheese (I'm using the 1/3 less fat version)

    • 1/4 cup Green onions
    • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
    • 12 won ton wrappers (I'm using phyllo dough sheets, because I wasn't able to find the won tons)
    • My plan is to make up the mixture, and dab a tsp full in each wrap and fold up the edges.  I'll probably brush them with oil, place them on a sheet of foil (non-stick spray of course) and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.   

     

     Feta Cheese Ball

    I got this one from my favorite new food blog MyBakingAddiction.  

    INGREDIENTS:

    2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
    4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 green onions, finely chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
    freshly cracked black pepper to taste

    DIRECTIONS:

    1. In a large bowl using an electric hand mixer, combine cream cheese, feta cheese, olive oil, green onions, garlic, oregano and pepper.

    2. Cover and chill for 2 hours.

    3. Remove mixture from refrigerator and form into 1 or 2 balls. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.

    4. Serve with crackers, flatbread, olives, etc.


     There you have it folks.  My Super Bowl food line up. My guests consist of my wife and two toddlers.  I'll need to start thinking about what I'm going to do with all of the leftovers!  As far as the game?  I'll have to go with the Giants, since they're probably the underdogs. The Giants are in it right?!   :)  

    No comments:

    Post a Comment