Friday, May 29, 2009

Half Marathon


For the past three months, part of my morning routine Monday through Saturday has been to strap on my running gear and head out into the darkness. I can honestly say I haven't taken this training as serious as others, but I still managed to get up and go out running everyday.
The race I'll be running this Sunday morning is the Dexter-Ann Arbor 1/2 marathon (13.1 miles). Thirteen miles sure does sound like a lot, but it really isn't as bad as you would think. The training schedule I did, had me running up to 40 miles in one week, so I kind of got used to longer runs. I did most of my long runs (10, 12, 14 miles) in Angola, IN. Angola is the perfect place to train because of the huge, long, grueling hills. There were many times I was several miles from my campground running by Amish farms, trying like hell to make it up another hill where I thought about just laying down and hoping an Amish family would take me in and feed me pancakes.. haha.
Anyhow, I'm looking forward to my first 1/2 marathon. The race follows Huron River from Dexter, MI to downtown Ann Arbor, MI and from what everyone says it's an awesome run. The best part about it is, at the end, there is the "Taste of Ann Arbor".. which is a big event where you get to taste various restaurants offerings - as well as a beer tent (Arbor Brewing Co.) that I will more than likely be found at shortly after I finish. :) Well, my training isn't over yet.. time to go run a quick 4 miles before work!

No comments:

Post a Comment