Monday, January 23, 2012

I'm just out running officer!

Before 6am I began hearing a helicopter hover around my house.  I didn't think much of it, I figured it was just passing by.  Around 6:30 I got ready to go running.  I checked our local newspaper website, figuring we'd have something since this copters been hovering for well over a half hour. Nothing there.  Must be some sort of training drill, I figured.   I started on my normal route, and began seeing police lights off in the distance.  Not long after the copter was pretty close to me, I'm guessing they spotted a guy running and alerted the crew.  I went out near the busy road and continued running, figuring I wouldn't look too out of place, I mean, everyone goes running in the pouring rain at 6:30am right?!    Within seconds, I was surrounded.  A cop truck from behind, and two from the front, pulling up and jumping out of their cars with spot lights on me.  One officer stood behind his door, I think he was on the radio.  It was pretty obvious I wasn't who they were looking for.  Maybe the reflective running vest did it, or my fancy GPS watch.  Anyhow, the officer approached me, gun in hand.  He asked where I was coming from.  I told him where I lived, and that I was just out for a morning run.  He directed me to head home immediately.  I didn't ask any questions, I bolted across the street and headed home.   Lesson learned.  Next time a helicopter is hovering, just stay home!
*Turns out a gas station was robbed around 5am and the suspect fled on foot.  Article here.

No comments:

Post a Comment