Sunday, November 18, 2018

Smoked Turkey Recipe


I wrote this recipe up to share and thought I should archive it here as I'm sure I'll use this recipe in the future.  Let me know if you have any questions on the recipe.

Smoked Turkey

Brine

The day before, I did a dry brine. Add various seasonings to a base of sea salt. I took about 1/2 cup of sea salt, and added thyme, rosemary, garlic powder, pepper, and some chicken grill seasoning I had nearby.

Apply brine - Loosen up the skin and rub under the skin, in the cavity and all around the outer skin of the turkey. Wrap it up in plastic and let it sit for a full 24 hours if possible.

Spatchcock

This isn’t necessary, but they say if you’re able to cook the turkey a little flatter, it cooks more evenly. You basically flip the turkey over, breast side down and cut the backbone out of the turkey. I used scissors but had to use a knife on some of it. Here's the video I watched to learn how to do it.

After the backbone is out you flip over and pretend you’re doing CPR on the turkey and crush the breast bone in. Brutal.

Room temp

Take the turkey out of the refrigerator a couple of hours before you cook it and let it get to room temp. This really helps get the turkey cooking faster.

Optional butter infuse

A little trick I did just before putting the turkey in the smoker - I melted a stick of butter and injected it into the turkey using one of those turkey syringe.

Wood chips

I used dry Apple wood chips and I continued adding them a little at a time for the first 2 hours. I've read that Apple or Cherry work the best with poultry. Some say hickory can give poultry a strong smoke taste, but I'm sure it would taste just fine.

Done temperature

Watch the internal temp of the breast like a hawk. I have a wireless digital thermometer (link) that I keep a close eye on. When it starts to get to around 160, take the temp in different areas of the breasts to make sure you’re on target. 

Rest for 20 min.

Before you do anything, rest the turkey for 20 minutes.

 Carve and eat!











No comments:

Post a Comment