Friday, August 26, 2005

Bruschetta!

So, I haven't posted a blog, because my laptop is down - actually, it's not really down, but the internet connection (Airport) is down. I'd give you details, but it would probably be about as long and boring as my last post! So, now.. since I have no internet on my computer, I'm forced to do other things. Last night I made my banana bread mix, then my cucumber/onion/sour cream salad (yummo). I decided to bake the bread fresh this morning and bring it to work, so I set my alarm for 4:40 a.m. I made out of bed on time, and set the timer for 50 mins. I headed out on a 50 minute run - just as I got back, the timer was going off - Daisy was barking, and Jen was stumbling out to see what was going on. Oops. I brought the bread to work, and it was gone in record time - less then 2 hours, and I had only told a few people!

Jen needed a recipe for her friend at work, who has an abundance of tomato's. I encourage everyone to at least try this recipe once. After that, you'll crave it! We make it, and eat a bunch.. then, all we think about is that tub of Bruschetta sitting in the refrigerator calling our name.. ! Seriously.. it's great.

Bruschetta with Shallots

INGREDIENTS:
12 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons minced shallots
1 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, cut into slivers
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 (1 pound) loaf Italian bread, cut into 1/2 inch slices

DIRECTIONS:
In a large bowl, toss together the roma tomatoes, minced garlic, shallots, basil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and 1/3 cup olive oil.
Place the slivered garlic and 1/4 cup olive oil in small saucepan over medium heat. Slowly cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes. Discard garlic.
Toast the bread slices, and brush with the olive oil heated with garlic. Top slices with the roma tomato mixture.


And, to leave you with something funny - take a listen to this. If your at work, I'd recommend headphones! I'm not sure I totally agree with this little rat guy, but dang is this funny.. he makes some good points. :)

Have a GREAT weekend ya'll!

No comments:

Post a Comment