Monday, January 16, 2012

Method to moist chicken breast

 I've baked  the last few bags of chicken breast, and it always ends up being a bit dry.  I wanted to find a way to make a moister chicken breast so I dug around the net. The below I ran across before I found poaching, which will be another method I try soon.  

This method I didn't believe when reading it.  You basically cook it for 10 minutes, then shut it off for 10 minutes.  I think it might work, but my chicken breasts were just thawed, still very cold.  The first batch I made, they seemed like they weren't fully cooked.  I heated them for another 7 minutes, then shut off the stove again.  The second batch I used the same method, but went 15 minutes / 15 minutes instead just to be safe.  They really did come out tasting awesome and juicy.  My wife compared them to country fried steak - the flour gives it almost a thin breading, and  I went a little heavy on the pepper.  I also used Italian seasoning mixed in with the flour mix.   Anyhow, this will probably be my new go-to chicken breast recipe! 

1 to 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon freshly chopped herbs (optional)
Olive oil
1/2 tablespoon butter

Equipment

10-inch sauté pan with lid

Instructions

1. Pound the chicken breasts to an even thickness with the handle or flat of a knife.

2. Lightly salt and pepper the chicken breasts.

3. Mix about a half teaspoon of salt in with the flour along with a little pepper. Chop the herbs finely, if using, and mix in as well.

4. Quickly dredge the chicken breasts in the flour, so that they are just lightly dusted with flour.

5. Heat the sauté pan over medium-high heat. When it is quite hot, add the olive oil and butter. Let them melt, and swirl the pan.

6. Turn the heat to medium. Add the chicken breasts. Cook for just about 1 minute to help them get a little golden on one side (you are not actually searing or browning them). Then flip each chicken breast over.

7. Turn the heat to low. Put the lid on the pan. Set a timer for 10 minutes, and walk away. Do not lift the lid; do not peek.

8. After 10 minutes have elapsed, turn off the heat. Reset the timer for 10 minutes and leave the chicken breasts in the pan. Again, do not lift the lid; do not peek.

9. After the 10 minutes are up, take the lid off, and tada! Soft, tender, juicy chicken breasts that aren't dried out in the least. Doublecheck them to make sure there is no pink in the middle. Slice and eat.

Source (here)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment