Sunday, May 20, 2012

The BEST Pot Roast you'll EVER have

I remember my first pot roast. I called my mom and had her give me step by step instructions over the phone. I had just received a crock pot for Christmas and was anxious to try it out.  My typical version of a roast called for onions, carrots, maybe some potatoes. I'd add a little water, and let it slow cook all day.  Crock pot roasts are good, but depending on how long it cooked, it could become a little dry or just have that crock pot soggy - everything tastes the same - thing going on.  

I was wanting to try something new so I looked through recipes on allrecipe.com.  I came across this one, and it sounded pretty good so I tried it.  Not only was it fantastic, I don't think I'll ever cook a roast another way.   (source:  Allrecipes.com)


  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • ground black pepper to taste
  • 3 1/2 pounds rump roast
  • 1/4 cup butter (I've used Olive Oil)
  • 1/2 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
  • 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup (or cream of chicken)
  • 1/2 cup dry vermouth (mix this up - I mainly use red or white wine now)
  • Directions
  • Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
  • In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and black pepper to taste. Dredge the rump roast in the flour and cover evenly. Shake off excess.
  • In a large pot over medium/high heat, melt the butter and brown the roast on all sides. Place in a 4 quart casserole dish with lid.
  • In a small bowl, combine the soup mix, mushroom soup, and vermouth or white wine; pour over roast.
  • Cover and bake in preheated oven for 3 hours or until desired doneness. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment