Saturday, February 11, 2006

It's only punk rock, but I like it . . .

Back in my younger days, I used to publish a punk rock magazine. I was making well over a grand an issue on advertising, but all of that (then some) went to printing and distributing. I was a 'rock-star' among the scenes in Toledo and Detroit, everywhere I went people and bands wanted to talk to me. The CD's and records were rolling in from record labels, I was getting about 25 or more a week. Needless to say, it was a bit overwhelming, and the free beer everywhere I went wasn't necessarily a good thing. I am an old school punk rock fan, and I wasn't liking the way the whole punk scene was heading either.. I always leaned toward the pop punk style (Ramones, Queers, etc.), and the magazine was more geared toward the entire scene of punk - so... I quit. I always consider going back and doing a strictly pop punk zine, or web-zine. Every time I hear music like the stuff below, I get really excited that there are still three chord punk bands out there. Simple, catchy and loads of fun. The pop punk scene is one of the best in music, only comparable to Grateful Dead fans.. super nice folks, almost, in some way.. hippies.

Anyhow, I'm going to The Queers tomorrow, so I was browsing their unofficial website. In his Joe Queers newsletter update from January, he goes on about a bunch of good bands. Check it out and also give some of these bands a listen.

Hot Rod Fury - A surf rock band. Lots of reverb,

The Riptides - Gritty pop punk

The Unlovables - female vocal bubble gum pop punk - very awesome! Check out the song "Feeling All Emo (Since I broke up with you)"

The Steinways - quick catchy pop punk

The Whoa Babies - low quality pop punk that totally rocks. Harmonizing and amps that sound like their sitting in a tin can.

The Arsons - street style edgy punk rock with a hint of pop.

Even In Blackouts - I've heard of this band, I even own the CD (or did before the garage sale!), but I didn't realize Phil from the Queers was in the band, and another recognizable name is Jughead from Screeching Weasel.. This band mixes up an acoustic-ish sound with pop punk. Great female vocals.

No comments:

Post a Comment